Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Two Weeks Old

Today is Blakely's original due date. She came two weeks early, so of course this makes today her two week birthday! I was definitely surprised she came so quickly, but I'm glad she's here.

Today was rough. It looked a bit like this:

8:10 AM - woke up (late) for Blakely's two week doctor appointment that started at 8:50 AM. My mother in law was kind enough to come to the appointment with me. I was going to walk Blakely over in a stroller but A) I didn't have time, B) she HAD to eat before the appointment or else she would have been crying the whole time and I had about 20 minutes to feed her before I'd have to leave. I seriously got dressed, my bag packed, her outfit picked out all while nursing her. It's crazy awesome being a mom.

8:50 AM We get to the hospital for her appointment. Her some stats:

Weight: 6lb 10oz (back up to her birth weight... yay)
Head: 34 cm
Length: She grew .25 inches since she was born! She was 19.75 inches long.

She had to get both heels poked, one for her wellness screening and one for her billiruben test.

We got home and Linda held her while I ate breakfast and got a few things situated. Right as she was walking out the door I heard my phone ring. It was the doctor about her billiruben test. Her levels had gone up to 18.9 (from 17.9). If it gets over 20 it's not good. They said our doctor, Dr. Brown, wanted us to put her on formula till Thursday morning then test again.

I got off the phone and started balling.

So much was going through my head. First off, I love nursing Blakely. It's such a bonding experience, there's a connection I can't really describe. Second, I hate formula. Its smelly, Blakely doesn't like it, and I've been very pro breastfeeding. Lastly that meant I'd have to pump... which is just downright weird.

I called Brock in tears. He tried to calm me down but it really didn't help. I gave her a bottle and then my mom called to see if her and my dad could stop by with lunch. I told them about it and they were so helpful. My mom stayed for a while and tried feeding her (she really didn't swallow much, and isn't used to a bottle... she is loyal to her mama). I got quite a bit of sleep in today. Two big naps.

When Brock got home I just wanted to have him hold me and help me feel better. I'm so anxious about formula because she spits up and I don't want her to choke in the middle of the night. I'm so paranoid, as I'm sure any new parent would be. My mom and Brock's mom will be helping me tomorrow with Blakely. I honestly don't even want to be the one to give her a bottle. But I will if I have to.

We got a super cute video of Blakely today. I'll have to post it. She also mega threw up/spit up all over Brock and the rocking chair. It was semi-hilarious.

Oh and I got her social security card in the mail today! Yay! As Brock says, she's an official American now!

Well, I'm going to attempt at making a photo book of the thousands of pictures we have of Blakely. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I know doctors tell you to bottle feed, but keep breastfeeding! Even my nurses told me to breastfeed and forget formula. They only tell you that because they can see how much they have eaten. The whole point is to flush their systems with as much liquid as possible. I would still nurse her and then try to supplement if she will take any extra. How come they don't have her on billi lights anymore? Cole was on them for a few days and I've had neighbors who had twins on them for weeks! Get the billi lights even though I hated them personally 'cause you can't just hold your baby all day long. Strip her down to only a diaper and leave her on the lights all the time to get the billirubion out of her system. You can get a special billi pad that you can put on them while you hold them too. It sucks but it helped Cole get rid of his jaundice.

And babies won't choke if they spit up. It's scary I know but if she's healthy and doesn't have any problems like severe reflux or something like that (Cole did... it was awful), their natural instinct/reflex is to swallow anything they spit up. And being on their backs actually helps with this reflex (putting them on tummies or sides hinders this natural ability and isn't safe).

Being a mom is wonderful, emotional, exhausting, and scary! Hang in there Nat! If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm there to listen!