Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Sometimes You Read Words that Change Your Life

Sometimes you read words that change your life. Sometimes you read words that you know should be changing your life, but you're just not "in the mood" or "ready" to take those things to heart. 

I think what gets me to the point where something can really move or influence me is the personal meaning behind it. For example if someone very meaningful to me says or shares something with me it can have a really big impact. I also think we can be influenced when people we don't know well share things with a sincere heart, and that strikes a certain chord due to our personal situations. 

Well I wanted to share something that one of my students wrote to her family/friends in a letter. She was one of my interns this last school year, and she is currently serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She is in Provo, UT for a few weeks to learn Mandarin Chinese in preparation to teach in Taiwan. In her letter she wrote this:
"Obedience brings blessings. But EXACT obedience brings miracles."
Not only does this girl have a special place in my heart as one of my dear friends, but I think the previous day at church helped spiritually prepare me to hear these words. The lesson in church was about reading the Book of Mormon. I was gently reminded the importance of making scripture study a PRIORITY in your life and not letting the adversary trick you into thinking, "I'm too tired, I don't have time, it's boring, etc." 

The fact that we can CHOOSE to be obedient, which WILL bring us blessings (or miracles) is huge! What an amazing opportunity for us to have faith and live life with a positive attitude, knowing that God loves us and is looking for the opportunity to soften our hearts and teach us more about his Son. Being exactly obedient to God [or regular obedient ;) ] is a sacrifice. I repeat. It is not easy, and requires work, commitment and sacrifice. But I believe it will always be worth it. 
As we sacrifice all to be obedient to the Lord, we can expect blessings to come in HIS way. And I trust that His way is always what I need, even if it's not what I want. I know Jesus Christ loves each of us, and that we are all children of God. I believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth today. Its teachings have brought me closer to God, and I am happy because of my testimony and the blessings of obeying His gospel.
Love you, thanks for reading. 

No comments: