Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Brock's First Day & Some Time to Myself...

Well, we drove back from St. Paul, Minnesota today. Now a five hour drive is no big deal to Brock and I, it's like a walk in the park. Ha, we've been driving so much lately. I'm glad we're finally "home" for a bit.

So Brock had orientation at 3M headquarters yesterday. It went really well. Really, really well. Apparently quite a few of the other interns are "jealous" of Brock because he's the "lucky one that got the Dekalb, IL location". Sounds like Brock is definitely with the best team (Nora and Mike) and the more we learn about 3M the more we like it. They are constantly innovating and have a great company culture. Some cool things Brock learned/saw yesterday:
  • 3M designed the rubber on the bottom of Neil Armstrong's moon boots. They said the only mistake they made was not putting the 3M logo on the boot so that it would be imprinted on the moon. 
  • 3M has designed a tape to be used when a patient gets an IV that doesn't pull your or skin when it comes off, and it will stick for days
  • the story of how scotch tape came to be 
  • 3M is like Google, in the fact that they require their employee's to work 15% in another department/something creative/do something they don't typically do 
  • a lot of other cool and innovative stuff
I'm excited for Brock. I think he will do really well and I hope he's found something he is passionate about and can see himself being happy doing. 

Now that we're "home" I think this is the first time i've found myself with time alone. Blakely went to bed at about 9PM and Brock took a bath. It was SO nice to just be able to think for a second. I got caught up on some work (yes, i'm still working full time while i'm out here... lots to do... I get all my planning done in the summer, I love it. The more I do in the summer, the easier my life is during the school year), and just had time to relax, eat without worry about feeding another human, or keeping her out of trouble haha. 

It'll be a good summer.

Thanks for reading. Hope you like the updates.




No comments: