Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Sledding on Old Main Hill

My little sister Nichelle is very blessed to be alive today. She broke her back (not the vertebrae/spinal cord), broke 3 ribs which punctured and collapsed her right lung, and severely dislocated her left hip.

She is going to be ok, it's just going to take a lot of time (and morphine). From what I understand she was sledding with her friends and they decided to link arms and go down on tubes. She was in the middle and they were headed to fast and she couldn't move out of the way of a large tree. She said the last thing she remembers is being told , "Protect your head" so she did everything she could to protect her head. Somehow she survived the crash, and was taken to the emergency room via ambulance.

She had multiple x-rays, and a ct scan to find out the extent of the damage. Her back is broken but not in the sense that you would normally think. The doctors said L5-T11 is broken (I think). Her is a picture to show you where i'm talking about:



I think that the boys who she was sledding with here going to give her a priesthood blessing but their oil was frozen because it was so cold! There have been many prayers for her and her name is in the temple. I'm sure she will be alright it's just a long road to recovery. She will likely be taking the semester off because it will be months before she can pick up textbooks.

I'm so thankful that Brock and I have made it so far without any major injuries. This makes me reflect on how precious life is and that we really do have such amazing bodies, with amazing people that live in those bodies that we love and care about so much. Thanks for everyone's support and love.

Nichelle, we all wish you a speedy recovery and all the morphine you need! Ha- LOVE YOU SISTER!

2 comments:

Lindsey H. said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad she's ok. How scary. I wish her a speedy recovery too!

ajandersonguy said...

Wow that sounds like not a fun thing. Tell her to take those pain meds on a need or die basis. Too many have become addicted and the recovery from that is long!
She's young so hopefully she recovers soon!
Jessica